Happiness comes in all different forms, resonates across those we interact with and finds itself in the depths of our emotions. Happiness is a unique feeling for each and every one of us, but can be drawn from the same source. It is not something that we are gifted, it is something we must find and bring to life.
This past weekend I watched a film called Hector and the Search for Happiness, and it made me think quite a bit about life in general. The main character, a psychologist, Hector, takes an independent journey on which he seeks to discover what makes other people happy in order to help his patients find happiness. Along the way, he uncovers the answers to that question for himself. Both positive and negative experiences guide him down a path that, while wildly unexpected, allow him to define happiness. Below is the list of conclusions he collects*:
- Making comparisons can spoil your happiness.
- A lot of people think, happiness means being richer, or more important.
- Many people only see happiness in their future.
- Happiness could be the freedom to love more than one woman at the same time.
- Sometimes, happiness is not knowing the whole story.
- Avoiding unhappiness is not the road to happiness.
- Does this person bring you predominantly: a) up or b) down?
- Happiness is, answering your calling.
- Happiness is being loved for who you are.
- Sweet Potato Stew!
- Fear is an impediment to happiness.
- Happiness is feeling completely alive.
- Happiness is knowing how to celebrate.
- Listening is loving.
- Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
For me, happiness is stepping outside my comfort zone, pursuing my dreams, learning, loving, surrounding myself with good people, living in the moment, taking on my fears, being honest and, most importantly, being uniquely me. Consider each of these as applied to your own life and goals. These wonderful little reminders have helped me to take on a new perspective, creatively and mentally.
We are in charge of our happiness and it's never to late to reevaluate our approach - in fact, we'd be crazy not to every once in a while!